Monday, March 12, 2007

Testing Drivers: TaylorMade R7 460

TayloreMade R7 460cc 10.5 degree, Stiff Fujikura RE*AX shaft

Aah... finally a driver that feels good in my hands.

Initial swings gave me fades/push trajectories (the face angle is closed, unlike the Callaway FT3 tour I tried earlier). But after fixing my stance to accomodate the large head (I kept it further away from me), I was able to get it working for me. One thing I observed is that I did not have wicked slices with this driver.

My latest swing speed on InPractis system (http://www.inpractis.com/) was 109mph with this driver and speed ratio of 1.3 (effective ball speed of 142 mph). Hopefully one day I can swing at 120mph and get 160mph ball speed.






As I liked almost everything, here is what I did not like: SPIN. The driver gave mid-high spin on the ball, so there is hardly any roll. I wonder if I can fix this with the weight configurations (now do I need a quad for that?).

After trying a lot of drivers, I think this one is a keeper.

No comments: