Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SwingPractis

The modern day technology is a boon to golfers in more ways than one (what with super engineered precision powered drivers and balls etc.).

The one that I am enthralled with is the concept of self analyzing your swing and consequentially your game. Of course, I wont go into the debate of taking a lesson from a Pro v/s learnign by yourself here. Having a technology to analyze your swing is helpful regardless or not of taking a lesson. (this is my flame bait for a torrent of comments). You can ask a pro to identify your weak points and help correct it. This tool provides further assistance - for self analysis or if you want to ask your teacher. (Sometimes friends playing alongside you can tell you whats going wrong - but most people dont take too well to this approach - or dont have enough patience/confidence in this approach)

SwingPractis (http://www.inpractis.com/) is a fantastic tool in this regard. Hopeless Golfer, my brother and myself went to the Fremont Golf Course last weekend to analyze our swings.
Based on my analyses, here is what I think I need to improve on.
  • My torque - my Club Speed to Ball speed ratio is low - around 1.1 - a good ratio is 1.4. I have to change my swing such that I get a better torque - basically, I have to ensure that my tummy can be seen by the person standing directly behind me.
  • Grip: I picked up two points (from a tutorial also on the same site). One, that at the position of address, we need to make sure that the right hand (using gravity) should be at the right hand grip position. Two, that my left hand grip should be properly adjusted (mine is too strong and twisted towards the right - thus reducing my wrist cock power - explains my bad ratio a bit)
There were plenty of other points I picked - but hey, lets fix the major ones first huh?

Also, thought I will pass along this tip. The site http://www.inpractis.com/tech-tips.php , has a wonderful array of videos with good instructions. Register at the site (free) and check the following ->
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Hopeless Golfer said...

Yea...exactly 1 year back I went to the golf show in San Mateo and picked up a card and have swings recored since then . Of course Iam not that smart to analyse my swing and fix it.

However I really liked their site too ...for example this is the simplest tip you can get and imply to your short game

http://www.inpractis.com/tech-tiparchive.php?day=20070218