Thursday, February 22, 2007

Testing Drivers: Callaway FT-3 & Cobra X/Speed

460cc King Cobra X/Speed 9.5 degrees with Aldila NV-X stiff flex/high kick/ 60g shaft. The X/Speed is for experienced golfers who have a high swing speed with good control.


460cc Callaway FT-3 Tour Big Bertha Fusion 9.5 degrees (Neutral) with Aldila NVS 65-S 350 shaft. The FT-3 has a titanium cup face and a carbon composite body. Tour drivers have high CG (center of gravity) and a slightly open face that may cause fades or slices for inexperienced players. The carbon composite is used for its light weight.



Well now that I said all that, I checked my swing speed at GolfMart in San Diego. My all-out swing speed was 120-125mph. I would really like to hit at 105-110mph consistently. The classic problem for amateurs like me using professional equipment is that they get trajectories that look like fades and slices.

Last weekend I went to Golfsmith and my driver swing speed by the computer was 105mph. I was confused.

Comparisons:

The face of FT-3 is smaller compared to the X/Speed. The idea with a large face is to provide a bigger sweet spot.



The X/Speed is much more like the new Cleveland HiBore shape. The FT-3 is pretty thick at the back. The idea with the X/Speed shape (and Cleveland HiBORE) is to move the weight lower and way far back for more distance. Pulling the weight of a club back also provides much less dispersion (left or right from the center of the desired ball flight).





At the end of the day, I could work the FT3 better than the X/Speed. The X/Speed did give more distance and control when I slowed my swing down (amateurs...). I remembered late in the round that the FT3 tour edition had an open face. Once I fixed my grip to accomodate the open face of the driver, the ball trajectories became straighter (compared to earlier fades). All in all, I recommend the FT3 (normal not tour edition) over the X/Speed for better control and good distance.

No comments: