Sunday, February 4, 2007

What got you hooked?

There are various kinds of golfers ..
# Pros
# High Handicappers
# Social
# Business
# Weekend Addict
# ..

People take up golf for various reasons -- "So I can get away from it all", "Oh, I just love the game ..", ...
And then there are myths -- "Golf is mainly for old men, and people who have too much time on their hands ..", "Golf is for pretentious rich people living in gated communities .."

To me, it just started with a casual introduction by my colleague who took to me to the driving range to "just hit a few balls" .. and man was I hooked!
Maybe the fact that playing Golf was really something that I could only dream of where I grew up (it was for really rich people) **might** have subconsiously made me drawn to it now that I had a chance to play it - but I doubt it had a major impact.

Golf has given me something to look forward to in life. I enjoy the opportunity it brings, to be with my best buddies. I enjoy the escape it provides me from the daily grind. I enjoy the fact that it allows me time to introspect.

And now, I guess I fall in the category of "Weekend Addict". Its not all fun and joy. The game does make me feel frustrated - especially after a routine triple bogey. But that one "well read putt" in the next hole is enough to keep me hooked!

What got you hooked?

No comments: