Thursday, February 15, 2007

Early morning golf. Wow, what a concept.

Morning round at Sunol - Cypress

Yesterday was Valentine's day, most of the day was spent as my wife wanted. Today is another day, and what better way to start the day than to see the morning sun from amidst lush green (I say lush because it has been raining a lot here and the course management team has been behind in manicuring the greens and mowing the fairways).

You dont believe me that it can be really exciting to wake up at 6am (Me? I am not a mornings person myself, I prefer to sleep till 8am). Take a look at this picture, and tell me what was wrong when you were in your bed and I was here at this time:


I and "Hopeless Golfer" planned this round last night. "Geek Golfer" bought into the plan but chickened out later, I believe he had to go to work or something like that... too bad.

Cypress was greener than usual. The grass mowers and tractors were at work, the fairways and greens were pretty moist with dew.

What was different today was that I had forgotten to get my putter (I was practicing in my living room last week) and towel (my clubs remained wet and dirty throughout). I enquired at the pro shop if they had demo putters, they didnt. What they did have was a putter to borrow (I guess for unlucky chaps like me, who forgot their equipment at home). Believe it or not, it was a classic that I believe Gary Player played with - a vintage Acushnet Bullseye "Titleist" putter designed by John Reuter Jr. After the front nine I putted amazingly well (according to my standards... I two putted mostly, and had a rare and tough 1 putt) - I swore I was gonna go home and buy it off the Internet if I could find one. The back-nine was another story, and I concluded that buying it will be a very hasty and unwise decision.
I guess what was obviously different from my blade putter was that this vintage putter was 33" (not 35" that I have) in length and had a heavy bottom (i.e. the center of gravity was pretty low). Now when I say heavy, dont compare it to the "Heavy Putter" brand of putters - those are ridiculously heavy (so they are straight and very forgiving, but distance control is, umm... shall we say optional with ;-) )

Anyways, as usual here are some more pics to enjoy of the fine golf course:


2 comments:

Hopeless Golfer said...

I ain't a morning person myself ...but it was beautiful to smell the fresh air and watch the sunrise after a long long time. Unlike "wandering golfer" I dont wake up till 9.30am . I was even more happier cause I played to my handicap and hit 46 in the front 9 and had only 19 putts . I would love to play atleast once a week in the morning . Start at 7.00am sharp and fnish by 10.30 .

So Mr Geek and Wanderer...Are you up for getting up early every thursday ?

Geek Golfer said...

I am sooo jealous .. I meant to be out there but there were meetings that I couldnt get out of. When "Wandering Golfer" asked me If I want to join in - I was driving back form San Francisco - and I eagerly said yes. When I checked my calendar later there was no way I cud make it. I apologize.

I so wanted to test my newly acquired Driver (Cobra F/Speed 10.5) :-)!