Thursday, February 8, 2007

Lessons --- Another brick in the wall ?

Can lessons improve a certain skill like say golf or cooking or cricket or tennis ?
Some people are gifted with certain skills but without proper guidance at the right time I would wonder if we could have discover Tendulkar or Michael Jordan or Roger Federer or Tiger woods. Could they have reached this level without proper coaching ? Tiger picked up his first club when he was 1.5 year .If I had to take a guess...probably not. But once you got that right coaching where you can take it is upto each individual . For example Tom Watson was a big star beating Nicklaus and the famous pebble beach victory along with his other 7 PGA wins but his son is a 7 handicap player. He must have got all the lessons from top pros but again I guess he doesnt have the god gifted special skill . Same with Rohan Gavaskar and many other children of great sports people.

Can I become better by taking lessons ?
Let me give an example . I never took guitar lessons until I came to this country . I still have the same skill(if you call it skill) before and after taking lessons( maybe 10 lessons) . Thing is learning at this age is tough and we dont have that much patience and I guess I wasnt that passionate about guitar anyways.
But golf is a different beast for me . Since last 20 months or so I am living golf everyday . Read...play ...watch and practise. It is that hunger to break the 100 s 90s 80s and get a few birdies just wants me to get better everyday . After a year when I hit a saturation point I realised that I need someone whom I can listen to and guide me .

You sucked in golf when we started and you still suck after lessones...have you improved yourself ?
Fortunaltely we have handicap in golf to keep track of your game and know whether you have improved yourself or not . Look at Mr skins ...he has a handicap 17 right now . When he started a year back he was handicap 28-29 .
I have my own personal goals and I have seen improvement in my golf swing since I took lessons . It doesnt change 20 strokes out of my game but if I can practise hard and be more consistant I am optimistic that I can consistantly break 80s . Thats my short term 2 year goal .
Time will tell if I can achieve that . If I cant ...I gave it my best shot

2 comments:

Geek Golfer said...

Absolutely. Coaching is very essential after a certain while - the question I had was: Does one BEGIN with a coaching lesson - or take it up later. And, when is the right time time to take it up before its too late ...

Anonymous said...

Well said.